Monday, February 9, 2009

You know, I still can’t decide between the two. Fireflies or Lightning Bugs? Essentially, they are the same thing. Who the heck decided they could give a tiny flying bug two different names? I remember growing up my family would go on summer vacation to the mountains in North Carolina. We would stay with five or six other families from the great state of Florida at a place called Hallcrest. We called it Furry’s. It was the kind of place that smelled like bacon and mothballs, had a big table with a lazy susan for meals, a dinner bell out front, and far too many sets of Uno found just about anywhere you could sit down, most of which were incomplete and bent in every which way. Each night after dinner the old folks would sit on the front porch and watch us kids playing out in the yard overlooking the valley. During the day I could usually be found throwing rocks at something. But at night, all attention was given to the hunt and capture of the…achem, “glowing bugs.” There was no stopping me. One year were brought Chelsea, our Golden Retriever. She was a great dog. When I was about 3 years old I fell off Chelsea and busted the side of my head on the bricks around our fireplace at home. I still have a pretty sweet scar. Chelsea loved North Carolina and loved those little glowing bugs almost as much as I did. She would run around the yard and into the woods and gobble them up. She would grin, and even though it was dark, you could see her glowing teeth stained by the guts of her after dinner snacks. She didn’t care if they were called Fireflies or Lightning Bugs or Little Glowing-Flying Insects…or if they tasted like cat poop. She liked that anyway.

There are things in this world that twinkle or glow or stand out. And no matter what we call them, there is no denying it…we engross ourselves with them. We can’t stop thinking about them. We gobble them up.

I am going to attempt, through this blog, to postulate whether or not we can come to a definite conclusion about anything on this Earth. You will become privy to my honest opinion, some hypothetical guestimates, a bit of devil’s advocacy, and a whole lot of random information. Odds are I will digress immensely from this initial proclamation of intent, but isn’t that what life is all about? Heading in one direction only to be lured away by something bigger and brighter or with more promise and possibility?

No comments:

Post a Comment